The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the national not-for-profit association established in 1863 that represents over 98,000 veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services, is seeking a Meeting Planner to join our Convention & Meeting Planning team located at our Headquarters office in Schaumburg, Illinois – a northwest suburb of Chicago.
Under the general direction of the Assistant Director of Meetings and Events, the Meeting Planner is responsible for managing the hotel contracting, housing, and registration processes for all internal and external AVMA meetings and the AVMA Annual Convention. They will work collaboratively with staff, volunteer leadership, and vendors to deliver the highest level of customer service to all end-users including meeting attendees, exhibitors, and staff. They are also responsible for onsite meeting registration, shuttle services and assisting with staff volunteers as well as managing AVMA’s preferred Travel Agency and overseeing the travel vendor rewards programs. To accomplish goals, they will work collaboratively with other AVMA staff, as well as interacting with volunteer leadership and stakeholders. Approximately 10% travel.
To be successful in this role, you must be highly collaborative and passionate about AVMA’s mission. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required
- Certified Meeting Planner (CMP) designation preferred
- 3-5 years of related meeting planning experience in a meeting/convention/event management environment, with a focus on registration and/or housing; not-for-profit association experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal and written and verbal communications skills
- Must possess extraordinary customer service skills with a professional and positive demeanor
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software applications, with advanced knowledge of Excel
- Must be highly organized with extreme attention to detail
- Must possess excellent follow-through and member relationship skills
- Must possess efficient, exceptional time-management skills and a willingness to go the extra mile
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be able to work outside of normal business hours; and travel on behalf of the Association, as needed
Deadline for applications is 12/20/2021. Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the AVMA:
Located in Schaumburg, Illinois, with an office in Washington, D.C., the AVMA is structured to work for its members and acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the veterinary profession. The AVMA provides many benefits to its members, including information resources; state and federal advocacy; opportunities to address issues affecting policies that govern the profession and practice of veterinary medicine; continuing education opportunities; quality publications; and discounts on personal and professional products, programs and services. The work of the AVMA is carried out by a dedicated staff of over 170. The organization is governed by an 18-member Board of Directors and has a $40M+ annual operating budget. For more information, please visit www.avma.org.