Job ID 1695
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the national not-for-profit association established in 1863 & representing over 99,500 veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services, is seeking an Associate Editor to join our Publications team to work with the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA) and the American Journal of Veterinary Research (AJVR). Structured to work for its members, AVMA acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the profession. Our mission is to lead the profession by advocating for our members and advancing the science and practice of veterinary medicine to improve animal and human health.
Reporting to the Editor-In-Chief, the Associate Editor is responsible for the strategic recruitment of authors, overseeing quality control of the publication process from an author and reader perspective, and ushering manuscripts through the peer review process for scientific manuscripts submitted to the AVMA journals. In conjunction with the other Associate Editors, they are also responsible for maintaining the quality of the AVMA journals and ensuring the scientific validity of the manuscripts and other content published in those journals. Approximately 10% travel.
To be successful in this role, you must be highly collaborative and passionate about AVMA’s mission. Additional qualifications include:
- DVM/VMD; advance research degree (MS/PhD), specialty board certification, or both preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in biomedical publishing
- Experience in clinical veterinary practice
- Experience in basic or applied veterinary medical research
- Demonstrated proficiency in scientific writing or editing
- Skilled in diplomatic facilitation of consensus between multiple perspectives
- Proactive, professional, accountable, and results-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with contributors to the AVMA journals
- Able to interact and effectively communicate with members of the scientific and non-scientific community
- Able to handle multiple priorities and deadlines, functioning well autonomously and as a team member
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel and with various Internet browsers
- Must be an AVMA member in good standing
The AVMA offers a supportive work environment and excellent benefits. Deadline for application is 10/6/22. Send resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
About the AVMA:
Located in Schaumburg, Illinois, with an office in Washington, D.C., the AVMA is structured to work for its members, and acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the profession. The AVMA provides a number of benefits to its members, including information resources, state and federal advocacy, opportunities to address issues affecting policies that govern the profession and practice of veterinary medicine, continuing education opportunities, quality publications, and discounts on personal and professional products, programs and services. The work of the AVMA is carried out by a dedicated staff of 175+. The organization is governed by an 18-member Board of Directors and has a $46M+ annual operating budget.