Job ID 1964
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the national nonprofit association established in 1863 that represents more than 100,000 veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services, is seeking an Assistant Director of Financial Operations to join our Finance and Business Services team, located at our Headquarters office in Schaumburg, Illinois – a northwest suburb of Chicago. The AVMA’s mission is to lead the profession by advocating for its members and advancing the science and practice of veterinary medicine to improve animal and human health.
Reporting to the Division Director and supervising a staff of 6, the Assistant Director is responsible for managing the financial processing operations of the Association including annual audits as well as accounts payable and accounts receivable. Manages financial analysis requests, audit preparation, reconciliations, and assists with budget preparation and projections for their areas of responsibility. Also responsible for the ongoing implementation of best practices and internal controls to ensure adherence to GAAP standards and compliance with all applicable regulations including PCI. Will work collaboratively with staff and volunteer leadership to provide assistance and the highest level of customer service to their end users.
To be successful in this role, you must be, highly collaborative, supportive of AVMA’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and passionate about AVMA’s mission. Additional qualifications include:
- BS/BA degree in accounting or a related field, CPA required.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of related experience with at least 3 years of supervisory experience including financial statement preparation is required; association experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with all aspects of accounting including GAAP, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets and best practices.
- Excellent project management skills are required with the ability to multi-task and prioritize responsibilities.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills are required.
- Must be highly collaborative with a strong customer service orientation.
- Experience using Great Plains and Quickbooks software preferred.
- Must be highly organized with excellent attention to detail.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must possess strong computer skills with knowledge of commonly used computer applications (Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Power Point, Internet, E-mail).
- Ability to understand the goals and objectives of a strategic plan and work toward realizing the goals within a team structure.
- Ability to understand and analyze financial reports and relational databases.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, and volunteer leadership.
- Must possess a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to our mission.
The AVMA provides excellent employee benefits, including generous health insurance, retirement plans, paid time-off (e.g., vacation, sick, paid parental leave), a hybrid work environment, and a supportive work/life balance.
Deadline for application is 6/5/23. Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
About the AVMA:
Located in Schaumburg, Illinois, with an office in Washington, D.C., the AVMA is structured to work for its members, and acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the profession. The AVMA provides many benefits to its members, including information resources, state and federal advocacy, opportunities to address issues affecting policies that govern the profession and practice of veterinary medicine, continuing education opportunities, quality publications, and discounts on personal and professional products, programs and services. The work of the AVMA is carried out by a dedicated staff of over 170. The organization is governed by an 18-member Board of Directors and has a $50M+ annual operating budget. Visit www.avma.org/AVMAcareers!